Alert: The following services will be unavailable on Saturday, January 5, 2013 from 12 a.m. (midnight) to 6 a.m. CST due to system maintenance.
Salvage Buyer Identification (BID) Card
Are you a veteran? You may qualify for a fee waiver for an initial license. Find out more!
If you are a licensed dealer, wholesaler or salvage dealer or their employee, you may apply for the Salvage Buyer Identification (BID) Card. The BID card allows you to bid on vehicles at motor vehicle salvage pools (auctions that sell wrecked vehicles only). You may have more than one BID card, in order to buy salvage vehicles for more than one employer. However, you must submit a separate BID card application signed by each employer. Employees of dealers, wholesalers, and salvage dealers that are licensed out-of-state may also qualify for a Wisconsin BID card.
To qualify for a BID card, you must be at least 18 years old. You cannot have been convicted of a crime directly related to the sale of motor vehicles.
BID card users can only buy vehicles on behalf of their employer. They cannot use the BID card to buy vehicles for their own or others use.
BID cards expire on the same date as the employers dealer, wholesaler or salvage dealer license. BID cards for out-of-state buyers expire on December 31st of the year in which they are issued. The fee for a BID card expiring in one year or less is $6. The fee for a BID card expiring in more than a year is $12.
To apply for a new, renewal, or replacement BID card:
- Complete, print and sign the Salvage Buyer Identification (BID) Card Application MV2651. See the application instructions on the form MV2651 for more information.
- Have your employing dealer, wholesaler or salvage dealer sign the form.
- If you will be bidding on vehicles for more than one employer, you must submit a separate, signed application for each employer.
- If the employer is an out-of-state business, include a photocopy of the dealer, wholesaler, or salvage dealer license or other credential authorizing the business to operate in that state or jurisdiction. If the license is not in English, attach an English translation.
NOTE: All licenses are mailed to the dealer license credential address only. No faxes, emails or photocopies will be sent in lieu of the actual license.
For more information or to request to have BID Card application materials mailed to you:
- Email: email@example.com
- Call: (608) 266-1425
- FAX: (608) 267-0323
- Write to the address below:
Wisconsin Department of Transportation
Dealer & Agent Section
4802 Sheboygan Avenue, Room 201
P.O. Box 7909
Madison, WI 53707-7909
Questions about the content of this page:
Division of Motor Vehicles, Dealer Section, firstname.lastname@example.org
Last modified: January 29, 2015
All external hyperlinks are provided for your information and for the benefit of the general public. The Wisconsin Department of Transportation does not testify to, sponsor or endorse the accuracy of the information provided on externally linked pages. Some pages contain links to other documents and media types (PDF, Word, Flash, Video, etc.) and require free plugins to work. Visit our software information page for assistance.