Wisconsin Department of Transportation

Alert: The following services will be unavailable on Saturday, January 5, 2013 from 12 a.m. (midnight) to 6 a.m. CST due to system maintenance.

Accident reporting

When to report an accident

Any accident must be reported when it results in:

  • Injury or death of a person.
  • $1,000 or more total damage to property owned by any one person.
  • Damages of $200 or more to government property (except motor vehicles).

Call the police immediately. They will report it for you. If they cannot file the report, you will need to complete a Wisconsin Driver Report of Accident form MV4002 and mail it to:

Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT)
Accident Records Unit
P.O. Box 7919
Madison, WI 53707-7919

The Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) checks for insurance coverage on all drivers listed on an accident report. If all motorists in an accident are insured, no action is taken. If you are perceived to be at fault and uninsured, the other parties involved should complete the appropriate evaluation forms.

Accident entries on your driver record

Regardless of fault, accidents appear on the driver record of all drivers involved in a reportable accident.

The driver record only shows involvement in an accident on a specific date, the severity, and the county of occurrence. It does not show who was at fault.

Insurance companies secure information from your driver record and other sources to determine if any claims have been paid out under your policy.

You can obtain an official copy of your driver record. There is a $5 fee for each record requested.

If the information on your driver record does not agree with the information your insurance company has, you will need to contact your insurance company for further information and clarification.

Request a copy of an accident report

To request an accident report, you must know the date of the accident and the name of one of the drivers involved or the Crash Document Number or DOT Accident Number.

You can request an accident report by any of the following methods:

  • Online
    Purchase Crash Reports
  • Mail
    Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT)
    Accident Records Unit
    P.O. Box 7919
    Madison, WI 53707-7919
  • Telephone
    Accident Records Unit at (608) 266-8753
  • Email Service
    Go to Wisconsin DMV email service, and then
    Select Category = "Driver" and Topic = "Request a copy of an Accident Report"

There is a $6 fee for each accident record copy requested. An invoice will be mailed to you along with a copy of the report unless it was purchased online.

Questions? Contact us: Wisconsin DMV email service
Call: (608) 266-8753

Last modified: August 11, 2014

All external hyperlinks are provided for your information and for the benefit of the general public. The Wisconsin Department of Transportation does not testify to, sponsor or endorse the accuracy of the information provided on externally linked pages. Some pages contain links to other documents and media types (PDF, Word, Flash, Video, etc.) and require free plugins to work. Visit our software information page for assistance.