Wisconsin Department of Transportation

Alert: The following services will be unavailable on Saturday, January 5, 2013 from 12 a.m. (midnight) to 6 a.m. CST due to system maintenance.

Insurance requirements for motor carriers

Intrastate and interstate for-hire motor carriers of property and passengers, any carrier of passengers by motor bus, and persons engaged in leasing motor vehicles without drivers must file evidence of proper insurance coverage as set forth in Sec. 194.41, 344.51, and 344.52, Stats. and Wis. Admin. Code Trans 176.

Motor carriers that procure and utilize oversize/overweight permits must maintain proper insurance coverage in full force in effect while the vehicle and load designated in the permit is operating on the public highway as set forth in sec. 348.25(5)(6), Stats. and Wis. Admin. Code Trans 250 through 275.

An insurance company can file motor carrier insurance electronically. The Carrier and Trucking System (CaTS) provides a faster and more efficient way to do business with the Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT). There is no cost to sign up or for using this service.

To use CaTS, you must:

  • Represent or be employed by an insurance underwriter.
  • Register to receive a Wisconsin user ID and password. The user ID and password allow you to conduct secure business with the State of Wisconsin over the Internet.
  • Complete access agreement MV2424 and submit to irp-ifta@dot.wi.gov or fax to (608) 266-6689.

To learn more about CaTS online insurance filing and how to obtain access or for more information about insurance requirements for motor carriers contact:

  • Email Motor Carrier Insurance (irp-ifta@dot.wi.gov)
  • Call: (608) 266-9900
  • Write to the address below:

Wisconsin Department of Transportation
Motor Carrier Services
P.O. Box 7955
Madison, WI 53707-7955

Questions about the content of this page:
Motor Carrier Services, irp-ifta@dot.wi.gov
Last modified: November 25, 2014

All external hyperlinks are provided for your information and for the benefit of the general public. The Wisconsin Department of Transportation does not testify to, sponsor or endorse the accuracy of the information provided on externally linked pages. Some pages contain links to other documents and media types (PDF, Word, Flash, Video, etc.) and require free plugins to work. Visit our software information page for assistance.