Wisconsin Department of Transportation

Alert: The following services will be unavailable on Saturday, January 5, 2013 from 12 a.m. (midnight) to 6 a.m. CST due to system maintenance.

Disabled veteran parking license plates

Disabled veteran license plate

Are you eligible?

Any veteran with a permanent disability incurred while in active U.S. military service that limits or impairs the ability to walk is eligible for disabled veteran (VET) parking license plates. By legal definition, this includes any person who:

  • Cannot walk 200 feet or more without stopping to rest.
  • Cannot walk without the use of, or assistance from, another person or brace, cane, crutch, prosthetic device, wheelchair or other assistance device.
  • Is restricted by lung disease to the extent that forced expiratory volume for one second, when measured by spirometry, is less than one liter or the arterial oxygen tension is less than 60 mm/hg on room air at rest.
  • Uses portable oxygen.
  • Has a cardiac condition to the extent that functional limitations are classified in severity as class III or IV, according to standards accepted by the American Heart Association.
  • Is severely limited in the ability to walk due to an arthritic, neurological or orthopedic condition.

If the disability that qualifies you for disabled parking privileges is not a result of injuries received while on active U.S. military duty, you may apply for disabled parking license plates or a disabled parking identification permit (DIS ID). Disabled parking license plates and DIS ID permits provide the same parking privileges as the Disabled Veteran parking license plates.

For information about other military-related special license plates, please see military license plates. These plates do not provide special parking privileges.

Persons that qualify

The veteran with a qualifying disability must be the:

  • Owner of a vehicle.
  • Lessee of a vehicle.
  • Beneficiary of a trust that owns or leases a vehicle.

Vehicles that qualify

The following vehicles qualify for Disabled Veteran license plates:

  • Automobile.
  • Motor home (annual registration only).
  • A private truck, dual purpose motor home or dual purpose farm truck that has a gross weight of 8,000 pounds or less.
  • A farm truck that has a gross weight of 12,000 pounds or less.

Disabled veteran parking license plate use

Disabled veteran parking license plates display the International Symbol of Access and are the only military related plates issued by Wisconsin that qualify for disabled parking privileges. A motor vehicle displaying disabled parking license plates issued by Wisconsin or any other state or country is subject to all Wisconsin motor vehicle laws and qualifies for certain privileges.

  • May park in spaces marked by official traffic signs reserving the space for vehicles displaying VET or DIS plates or a DIS ID permit.
  • Exempt from any parking ordinance imposing time limits of one-half hour or more, and is subject to the laws relating to parking.
  • May park at a municipally-owned/leased lot without payment in metered spaces when the time limit is one-half hour or more. (Payment may be required for privately-owned parking lots or those with an attendant.)
  • May obtain fuel from a full-service pump at the same price as the fuel from a self-service pump at locations with both types of service, if the driver is the person with the disability. The driver of the vehicle must ask for the same price as charged for fuel dispensed from a self-service pump. The retailer is not required to provide any other service that is not provided to customers who use a self-service pump.

Things you should know

  • A person with disabled veteran license plates may be issued one permanent disabled parking identification (DIS ID) permit.
  • If you currently have two permanent disabled parking DIS ID permits, one must be returned with the application for disabled veteran license plates.
  • Persons with a permanent disability must be re-certified by an authorized health care specialist every four years.
  • WisDOT may cancel disabled veteran license plates that were issued as a result of fraud or error or that were used by anyone not authorized to do so.
  • If you are a licensed driver, WisDOT may review your disability to make sure you are able to exercise ordinary and reasonable control of a motor vehicle. If the VA medical provider recommends a re-examination, you will be required to complete a knowledge, highway signs and road test to determine any license restrictions.
  • Upon the death of the qualifying veteran, disabled veteran license plates must be replaced with regular plates. Credit will be given for any remaining months of registration to the surviving spouse.
  • To legally operate a vehicle, license plates must be displayed within two business days of purchase. If you do not have current license plates, apply to a DMV customer service center that offers registration services or an agent authorized by WisDOT to obtain a temporary plate while your disabled veteran license plate application is processed. An agent may charge a plate fee and/or a service fee. You will be required to pay a counter service fee at a DMV customer service center.
  • Disabled veteran license plates are not available at DMV customer service centers. Applications must be mailed to the address below.
  • Disabled veteran license plates are valid in all 50 states and Puerto Rico.

For personalized plates:

  • Personalizing your Disabled Veteran license plates is optional.
  • A $15 personalized plate fee is required each year in addition to the regular annual registration fee.
  • Visit Personalized Plate Lookup to find out if your choice for a personalized license plate is available.
  • No refund or adjustment will be made for a change of choice or spacing after the plates are ordered, or if the application is unclear or incorrectly completed.
  • WisDOT may refuse to issue, or may recall after issuance, a request that may be offensive to good taste or decency, misleading or conflicts with any other license plate.
  • After you receive the Certificate of Registration, allow 4-6 weeks for the manufacturing and mailing process before the plates arrive. If you do not currently have disabled parking plates or ID card, we will send a temporary disabled parking ID card for use until the personalized plates arrive.
  • For more information, visit personalized and special plates FAQs.

Changing from personalized to regular disabled veteran plates

If you wish to register your vehicle with regular disabled veteran license plates at renewal time, or within three months of the renewal expiration date, send a copy of your Certificate of Registration or renewal notice with a request for regular disabled veteran plates. Include the regular annual registration fee (subtract $15 personalized plate fee from the total shown on the renewal notice). If you wish to register any other time, send the request and a copy of the Certificate of Registration. For more information, visit personalized and special plates FAQs.

How to apply

  1. Complete the U.S. Disabled Veteran Parking License Plates Application form MV2172 Applicant section.
  2. Have an authorized health care specialist from a VA medical facility complete the VA certification section.
  3. If you wish to receive one DIS ID permit, check the box under the DIS ID permit information section. When using the DIS ID permit, you must keep a copy of the completed application on your person or in the vehicle and provide it to any traffic officer for inspection upon request. Please make and keep a copy of the application, signed by your VA health care specialist, before sending the application to WisDOT.
  4. Check whether you want personalized or non-personalized disabled veteran license plates under the Personalized plate section.
  5. If the vehicle you wish to register with disabled veteran license plates is already titled in your name, send the following items with the completed plate application:
    • A copy of your Certificate of Registration (attach to application) OR complete the vehicle description on the application.
    • The annual registration fee if you do not have plates or if your plates expire within the next three months.
    • An additional $15 if applying for personalized plates.
  6. If the vehicle is NOT titled in your name, send the following items with the completed plate application:
    • The title assigned to you.
    • A completed title application MV1 (Private Sale) or MV11 (Dealer sale).
    • All required fees, including the annual registration fee or show a valid plate to transfer.
    • An additional $15, if applying for personalized plates.
  7. If a payment is needed, make the check or money order payable to Registration Fee Trust.
  8. Mail the application and all required items to:

    Special Plates Unit - DIS
    P.O. Box 7306
    Madison, WI 53707-7306

Release of non exempt information

WisDOT uses the information on the MV2172 form to issue disabled veteran license plates. Under the open records law, WisDOT must provide information from its records to requesters. If you do not want your name and address included in requests we receive for ten or more records, you may ask the department to withhold your name and address from those lists by completing the Release of non exempt information portion on the application form.

WisDOT complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act.

Previous Back to Special and personalized license plates

Questions? Contact us: Wisconsin DMV email service
Call: (608) 266-3041
Fax: (608) 267-5106

Last modified: July 12, 2011

All external hyperlinks are provided for your information and for the benefit of the general public. The Wisconsin Department of Transportation does not testify to, sponsor or endorse the accuracy of the information provided on externally linked pages. Some pages contain links to other documents and media types (PDF, Word, Flash, Video, etc.) and require free plugins to work. Visit our software information page for assistance.