Alert: The following services will be unavailable on Saturday, January 5, 2013 from 12 a.m. (midnight) to 6 a.m. CST due to system maintenance.
Freemason license plates
The Freemason license plates recognize the Free and Accepted Masons of Wisconsin. The fraternal order that was organized in 1843 and in operation several years before our state was admitted to the Union.
Vehicles that qualify
- Motor homes (annual registration only)
- Motor trucks
- 4,500, 6,000 or 8,000 pound gross weight including dual purpose farm and dual purpose motor home
- 12,000 pound gross weight farm truck
For more information, visit personalized and special plates FAQs.
How to apply
1. Download form MV2918.
2. Complete the Freemason decal application portion and mail with a self-addressed, stamped envelope to the address provided.
3. Complete the Freemason license plate application portion. Send the following items:
- Your Wisconsin title (not a photocopy)
- Signed Freemason license plate application portion of MV2918
- $15 issuance fee or $15 personalized fee
- Annual registration fee if you do not have plates or if your plates expire within the next three months
- Check or money order made payable to: Registration Fee Trust
Mail or deliver to:
Wisconsin Department of Transportation
Special Plates Unit
4802 Sheboygan Ave.
PO Box 7911
Madison, WI 53707-7911
Standard Freemason plates
The first time you get your Freemason plate you pay:
- A $15 original issuance fee
- Your regular registration fee, if your current plates expire within three months
Thereafter, you pay only the regular registration fee. You must submit your current title to receive either standard or personalized Freemason plates. You will receive a new title.
Personalized license plates
- Personalizing your Freemason license plates is optional.
- A $15 personalized plate fee is required each year in addition to the regular annual registration fee.
- Visit Personalized Plate Lookup to find out if your choice for a personalized license plate is available.
- No refund or adjustment will be made for a change of choice or spacing after the plates are ordered or if the application is unclear or incorrectly completed.
- WisDOT may refuse to issue or may recall after issuance, a request that may be offensive to good taste or decency, misleading or conflicts with any other license plate.
- Allow approximately four-six weeks after you receive your new title for personalized plates to arrive.
Temporary plate required
To legally operate your vehicle, you must display license plates within two business days of purchase. If you do not have current plates, apply to a DMV service center or an agent authorized by DMV to obtain a temporary plate while your Freemason order is processed. An agent may also charge a $3 plate fee and/or may charge a $5 service fee.
Change to regular plates
If you later decide to register with standard license plates, return your title with a request for standard plates. Include the regular registration fee if your Freemason plates will expire within the next three months.
Release of information
The Wisconsin Department of Transportation uses the information on this form to issue Freemason license plates. Under open records laws, the Department must make certain information available upon request. The Department makes some information available to companies for business purposes. If you want your name and address withheld from such business mailing lists, download form MV3592, Request to Withhold Name and Address, or obtain one from any DMV service center.
Back to Special and personalized license plates
Questions? Contact us: Wisconsin DMV email service
Call: (608) 266-3041
Fax: (608) 267-5106
Last modified: July 14, 2011
All external hyperlinks are provided for your information and for the benefit of the general public. The Wisconsin Department of Transportation does not testify to, sponsor or endorse the accuracy of the information provided on externally linked pages. Some pages contain links to other documents and media types (PDF, Word, Flash, Video, etc.) and require free plugins to work. Visit our software information page for assistance.