Alert: The following services will be unavailable on Saturday, January 5, 2013 from 12 a.m. (midnight) to 6 a.m. CST due to system maintenance.
University license plates
Any Wisconsin resident may apply for university license plates. You do not have to be an alumnus of a UW system campus to qualify for the plates. Proceeds from the annual tax deductible university fee goes to support scholarship programs on each UW system campus. Each of the 13 campuses has an individual logo.
Vehicles that qualify
- Motor home (annual registration only)
- 4,500, 6,000 or 8,000 pound gross weight including dual purpose farm and dual purpose motor home
- 12,000 pound gross weight farm truck
How to apply:
- If the vehicle you wish to register with UW plates is already
titled in your name, send:
- A copy of your Certificate of Registration OR the complete vehicle description on application form MV2724
- A $15 fee is required EACH year for personalized plates
- $20 UW donation, plus the annual registration fee if the current plates expire within the next three months
- If the vehicle is NOT titled in your name, send:
- A completed title application MV1 or MV11 through the dealer and fees, including the annual registration fee
- Additional $15 issuance for personalized plate fee
- $20 UW donation
- Make the check or money order payable to: Registration Fee Trust
- Mail all required items to:
Wisconsin Department of Transportation
Special Plates Unit
P.O. Box 7911
Madison, WI 53707-7911
Personalized license plates
- A $15 personalized plate fee is required EACH year in addition to the $20 donation and regular annual registration fee.
- If your personalized request is not available, indicate on the form which option you would like Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT) to follow.
- WisDOT may refuse to issue OR may recall after issuance, a request that is misleading or may be offensive to good taste or decency.
- No refund or adjustment will be made for a change of choice or spacing after the plate has been ordered, or if the application is unclear or incorrectly completed.
- Plates will be mailed 4-6 weeks after you receive the new Certificate of Registration.
Temporary plate required
To legally operate your vehicle, you must display license plates within two business days of purchase. If you do not have current plates, apply to a DMV service center or an agent authorized by DMV to obtain a temporary plate while your University plate order is processed. An agent may charge a $3 plate fee and/or may also charge a $5 service fee.
Release of information
WisDOT uses the information on this form to issue university license plates. Under open records laws, WisDOT must make nonexempt information available upon request. If you want your name and address withheld from such business mailing lists, complete the "Release of Nonexempt Information" portion on form MV2724.
Back to Special and personalized license plates
Questions? Contact us: Wisconsin DMV email service
Call: (608) 266-3041
Fax: (608) 267-5106
Last modified: December 18, 2007
All external hyperlinks are provided for your information and for the benefit of the general public. The Wisconsin Department of Transportation does not testify to, sponsor or endorse the accuracy of the information provided on externally linked pages. Some pages contain links to other documents and media types (PDF, Word, Flash, Video, etc.) and require free plugins to work. Visit our software information page for assistance.