Alert: The following services will be unavailable on Saturday, January 5, 2013 from 12 a.m. (midnight) to 6 a.m. CST due to system maintenance.
U.S. Veteran motorcycle license plate
The U.S. Veteran motorcycle license plate is available to any Wisconsin resident who qualifies as a veteran of the United States Armed Forces. A qualified person must be an owner, lessee or trust beneficiary of the vehicle. The plate may be personalized with one to four characters.
To qualify for the plate, you must provide a copy of your Department of Defense form DD214 Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty or equivalent documentation indicating you qualify as a veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces pursuant to Title 38, United States Code (Veteranís Benefits), Section 101. If you are unsure of your veteran status, contact the Veterans Administration Wisconsin Regional Office at (800) 827-1000, TTY (800) 829-4833.
Things you should know:
- NO special parking privileges are provided with U.S. Veteran motorcycle plates.
- The U.S. Veteran motorcycle license plate can feature regular numbers or a personalized message.
- A $15 issuance fee is required for a regular U.S. Veteran motorcycle plate.
- A $30 personalized plate fee is required in even years. A $15 personalized plate fee is required in odd years.
- If the motorcycle receiving a U.S. Veteran motorcycle plate is already titled/registered in your name, complete the vehicle section on MV2930.
- If the vehicle is not titled in your name, complete the title application - form MV1 and form MV2930 send them with all the required fees to the address on form MV2930.
- For more information, visit personalized and special plates FAQs.
How to apply
Send the following items:
- Proof of eligibility (photocopies acceptable).
- Completed and signed U.S. Veteran Motorcycle License Plate Application form, MV2930.
- Biennial registration fee of $23 if you do not currently have a motorcycle plate or if your current plate expires within 3 months.
- Issuance fee:
- $15 for a non-personalized plate.
- $15 for a personalized plate if registering in an odd year (e.g., 2011).
- $30 for a personalized plate if registering in an even year (e.g., 2012).
- If the motorcycle is not registered in your name, also send the assigned title, form MV1 and all required fees.
- Check or money order made payable to: Registration Fee Trust
- Mail the application, your title application (if applicable), proof of eligibility and your payment to:
Wisconsin Department of Transportation
Special Plates Unit
P.O. Box 7911
Madison, WI 53707-7911
Personalized license plates
- Personalizing your U.S. Veteran motorcycle license plate is optional.
- A $30 personalized plate fee is required in addition to the regular biennial registration fee.
- Visit Personalized Plate Lookup to find out if your choice for a personalized license plate is available.
- No refund or adjustment will be made for a change of choice or spacing after the plates are ordered, or if the application is unclear or incorrectly completed.
- WisDOT may refuse to issue or may recall after issuance, a request that may be offensive to good taste or decency, misleading or conflicts with any other license plate.
- After you receive the Certificate of Registration, allow 4-6 weeks for the manufacturing and mailing process before the plates arrive.
Change to a regular plate
If you later decide to re-register with a standard license plate, return a copy of your Certificate of Registration with a request for a standard plate. Include the regular biannual registration fee if your plate will expire within the next 3 months.
Release of information
WisDOT uses the information on this form to issue a U.S. Veteran motorcycle license plates. Under open records laws, WisDOT must make nonexempt information available upon request. If you want your name withheld from such business mailing lists, complete the "release of nonexempt information" portion on form MV2930.
Back to Special and personalized license plates
Questions? Contact us: Wisconsin DMV email service
Call: (608) 266-3041
Fax: (608) 267-5106
Last modified: July 14, 2011
All external hyperlinks are provided for your information and for the benefit of the general public. The Wisconsin Department of Transportation does not testify to, sponsor or endorse the accuracy of the information provided on externally linked pages. Some pages contain links to other documents and media types (PDF, Word, Flash, Video, etc.) and require free plugins to work. Visit our software information page for assistance.