Wisconsin Department of Transportation

Alert: The following services will be unavailable on Saturday, January 5, 2013 from 12 a.m. (midnight) to 6 a.m. CST due to system maintenance.

Wisconsin National Guard license plates

Wisconsin National Guard license plate

National Guard license plates are available to any Wisconsin resident who qualifies as a current or retired guard member. A qualified person must be an owner or lessee of the vehicle with National Guard plates, or the beneficiary of a trust that owns or leases the vehicle. The plates may be personalized with one to seven characters.

Vehicles that qualify

  • Automobiles
  • Motor homes (annual registration only)
  • Motor trucks
    • 4,500; 6,000 or 8,000 pounds gross weight including dual purpose farm and dual purpose motor home
    • 12,000 pounds gross weight farm trucks

Things you should know

  • No special parking privileges are provided with National Guard plates. See Disabled veteran parking license plates or Disabled parking identification permits for information about special parking privileges for persons with disabilities that impair the ability to walk.
  • A $15 fee is required when non-personalized National Guard plates are issued or reissued.
  • If you are a current or former member of one of eight Wisconsin National Guard units, you are eligible to receive one unit plate decal for a fee of $20.
  • If a person in possession of these plates does not maintain membership in the National Guard (except due to retirement), he/she must dispose of the plates and apply for standard plates.
  • The surviving spouse of an active or retired guard member with National Guard plates, who is now deceased, may retain the plates.
  • For more information, visit personalized and special plates FAQs.

How to apply for National Guard plates

  • Complete the Wisconsin National Guard License Plates and Decals Application, form MV2929 and provide proof of eligibility.
  • If the vehicle you wish to register with National Guard plates is already titled in your name, send:
    • A copy of your Certificate of Registration OR complete the vehicle description on the application form.
    • $15 issuance fee or $15 annual personalized plate fee.
    • $20 for optional plate decal.
    • Annual registration fee if you do not have plates or your current plates expire within the next three months.
  • If the vehicle is NOT titled in your name, send:
    • A completed title application form MV1 or MV11 (if purchased through a Wisconsin dealer).
    • All required documents and fees, including the annual registration fee or a valid plate to transfer for credit.
    • $15 issuance or $15 annual personalized plate fee.
  • If you already have National Guard plates and are applying for a decal only, complete the vehicle information for the vehicle currently registered with National Guard plates on page three of the MV2929 application form. No additional proof of eligibility is required.
    • Select a unit decal.
    • Mail with $20 decal fee to the address below.
  • Make check or money order payable to Registration Fee Trust and mail all required items to:

    Special Plates Unit
    P.O. Box 7911
    Madison, WI 53707-7911

Note: Local DMV customer service centers cannot issue National Guard license plates or decals.

Personalized license plates

  • Personalizing your National Guard license plates is optional.
  • A $15 personalized plate fee is required each year in addition to the annual registration fee.
  • Visit Personalized Plate Lookup to find out if your choice for a personalized license plate is available.
  • No refund or adjustment will be made for a change of choice or spacing after the plates are ordered or if the application is unclear or incorrectly completed.
  • WisDOT may refuse to issue, or may recall after issuance, a request that may be offensive to good taste or decency, misleading or conflicts with any other license plate.
  • After you receive the Certificate of Registration, allow 4-6 weeks for the manufacturing and mailing process before the plates arrive.

Change from personalized to regular plates

If you later decide to re-register with standard license plates, return a copy of your Certificate of Registration with a request for standard plates. Include the regular registration fee if your plates will expire within the next three months.

Temporary plate required

To legally operate your vehicle, you must display license plates within two business days of purchase. If you do not have current plates, apply to a DMV service center or a temporary license plate agent for a temporary plate while your National Guard plate application is processed. An agent may charge a plate fee and/or service fee.

Release of information

WisDOT uses the information on this form to issue National Guard license plates. Under open records laws, WisDOT must make nonexempt information available upon request. If you want your name and address withheld from mailing lists of 10 or more individuals, complete and return page three of form MV2929.

Previous Back to Special and personalized license plates

Questions? Contact us: Wisconsin DMV email service
Call: (608) 266-3041
Fax: (608) 267-5106

Last modified: July 14, 2011

All external hyperlinks are provided for your information and for the benefit of the general public. The Wisconsin Department of Transportation does not testify to, sponsor or endorse the accuracy of the information provided on externally linked pages. Some pages contain links to other documents and media types (PDF, Word, Flash, Video, etc.) and require free plugins to work. Visit our software information page for assistance.