Alert: The following services will be unavailable on Saturday, January 5, 2013 from 12 a.m. (midnight) to 6 a.m. CST due to system maintenance.
Title your vehicle with eMV Public
The online system eMV Public is designed to assist Wisconsin residents who purchase or acquire a vehicle and need to title and register it in their name. This system is available for the following types of vehicles:
- Light Trucks (8,000 pounds or less)
- Sport Utility Vehicles (SUVs)
- Motorcycles (no mopeds)
To use this system, you will need:
- A Wisconsin title, signed by the seller(s), including:
- A printer with 8 ½ by 11 inch paper.
- Adobe Acrobat Reader
- A Wisconsin Driver License or Identification card, last four digits of your social security number and date of birth.
Note: Never buy a vehicle without seeing and receiving a title signed by the previous owner.
If you need to update your address, we encourage you to change your residence address online before you begin. You may also find out if you have any restrictions (incidents) that would prevent you from obtaining a DMV product.
When you have successfully completed your online application, you must print and mail the receipt with your title, any other required documents and payment to the Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT). Please do not visit a DMV service center or agency/business that offers title and registration services to complete your application.
If applying for new plates, you must also print the temporary plate (see instructions for complete information). Browse the plate guide to view a sample of an eMV Public temporary plate, or view an eMV Public receipt sample.
This system is not available for the following conditions:
- You are registering any motor vehicle other than an auto, light truck or motorcycle.
- You bought the vehicle from a Wisconsin dealer. Your dealer must title and register the vehicle for you.
- You will have a new loan on the vehicle. Your lender or dealer will assist you in titling and registering your vehicle.
- More than two purchasers will be on the new title for the vehicle.
- The vehicle is leased.
- The vehicle is currently titled in another state.
- You are applying for a special license plate.
- The seller is deceased.
- You will be hauling packages for hire.
- You are titling the vehicle in the name of a trust, company or business.
- You are under the age of 18 (unless there will be a co-owner over 18).
- You or the seller of the vehicle have restrictions (incidents).
Other conditions may prevent you from using this system. When this occurs, a message will display directing you to complete and mail your application to WisDOT. For more information on other vehicles, refer to getting a title and license plates or new residents.
Questions? Contact the eMV support team
Last modified: February 1, 2013
All external hyperlinks are provided for your information and for the benefit of the general public. The Wisconsin Department of Transportation does not testify to, sponsor or endorse the accuracy of the information provided on externally linked pages. Some pages contain links to other documents and media types (PDF, Word, Flash, Video, etc.) and require free plugins to work. Visit our software information page for assistance.