Alert: The following services will be unavailable on Saturday, January 5, 2013 from 12 a.m. (midnight) to 6 a.m. CST due to system maintenance.
WIS 164 (County J)
Washington and Waukesha counties
|View SE, WIS 164 (County J) project location.|
WIS 164 (County J), in Washington and Waukesha counties.
- I-94 to Waukesha/Washington County Line (County Q), Waukesha County
- Waukesha/Washington County Line (County Q) to WIS 175, Washington County
- Traffic on WIS 164 has been studied since the 1960s. At that time traffic clearly called for a two-lane county highway. By the 1990s, population had dramatically grown in Waukesha and Washington counties.
- More people means more cars and trucks on the highway. Traffic congestion and safety are now critical issues.
- 2006 traffic volumes, Capitol Drive - Sussex, ranges from 13,000 - 15,400 vehicles on weekdays. Traffic, Capitol Drive - I-94, is even greater, up to 23,000 vehicles on weekdays.
- These volumes exceed federal standards for safe and efficient travel on two-lane urban highways. Traffic is expected to continue to grow 50 percent over the next 20 years.
- Portions of WIS 164 have steep hills, blind intersections and many access points that affect safety and traffic flow.
- A full range of improvements to WIS 164 have been studied. Citizens and public officials were asked to review, comment on and help determine the best approaches to these improvements.
Study completed 2001. This project is not yet scheduled for construction but is anticipated to be when traffic volumes near the threshold for four lanes.
WisDOT Southeast Region Office, firstname.lastname@example.org
Last modified: July 30, 2013
All external hyperlinks are provided for your information and for the benefit of the general public. The Wisconsin Department of Transportation does not testify to, sponsor or endorse the accuracy of the information provided on externally linked pages. Some pages contain links to other documents and media types (PDF, Word, Flash, Video, etc.) and require free plugins to work. Visit our software information page for assistance.