Alert: The following services will be unavailable on Saturday, January 5, 2013 from 12 a.m. (midnight) to 6 a.m. CST due to system maintenance.
WIS 59 Reconstruction
West Allis, Milwaukee County
|View SE, WIS 59 (124th St. to I-894) Reconstruction project location.|
Update: Closures set for early November
WIS 59 (Greenfield Ave.), 124th St. to 1-894, in West Allis, in Milwaukee County.
The project limits and construction schedule were recently adjusted for work on WIS 59 (Greenfield Avenue). The nearby Zoo Interchange reconstruction project is advanced and a portion of the WIS 59 corridor construction from the I-894 ramps to 97th Street will be incorporated into the Zoo Interchange reconstruction project. The corridor from 124th Street to 97th Street is divided into two portions and the bridge:
WIS 59 (Greenfield Avenue), 106th Street-97th Street
- Reconstruct the I-894 interchange and bridge
- Remove the I-894 eastbound to northbound loop ramp
- Add dual left-turn lanes to the ramp intersections
- Remove and replace existing concrete roadway
- Add, extend turn lanes at 101st Street intersection to match I-894 interchange
- Improve traffic signals at the 101st Street intersection
- Convert existing parking lanes to bicycle lanes
- Improve pedestrian and transit facilities
- Construction: 2013
Greenfield Avenue bridge
The remainder of the corridor, from 106th Street to 97th Street and the WIS 59 Bridge over I-894 is scheduled for construction spring to fall 2013. Traffic impacts include:
- Greenfield Avenue will be open with lane restrictions during construction up to 101st Street.
- East of 101st Street over the freeway will be closed during much of the construction with the bridge over I-894 re-opening prior to the Wisconsin State Fair.
- The freeway ramps to/from Greenfield Avenue will be closed for the majority of that time as well, with the exception of the ramp from northbound I-894, which will be open to eastbound Greenfield Avenue traffic only. Detours will be provided.
The new bridge over I-894 will be wider than the existing bridge with dual left turn lanes at the northbound and southbound freeway entrances and two through lanes in each direction. There will be sidewalks on both sides of the new bridge. Design elements are being incorporated into the bridge to make the bridge aesthetically pleasing and to ensure that it coordinates with architectural features of the surrounding area and other freeway system bridges. For updates on the Zoo Interchange project and for information on future meetings, please check the project website: www.zoointerchange.wi.gov
- During 2012 and 2013 construction, WIS 59 will remain open to traffic, with lane restrictions scheduled during certain stages from 124th Street to 101st Street.
- In 2013, the WIS 59 bridge over I-894 and most ramps to/from I-894 will be closed for the majority of the construction period.
- Construction completed 2012 on the segment between 124th Street-106th Street after State Fair.
WisDOT Southeast Region Office, firstname.lastname@example.org
Last modified: July 25, 2013
All external hyperlinks are provided for your information and for the benefit of the general public. The Wisconsin Department of Transportation does not testify to, sponsor or endorse the accuracy of the information provided on externally linked pages. Some pages contain links to other documents and media types (PDF, Word, Flash, Video, etc.) and require free plugins to work. Visit our software information page for assistance.